Eaglie's Aviary

Friday, December 14, 2007

NOT DISCOURSE!

Guess I gotta stop just posting riff-raff and start being responsible with my link-snide comment posts! Especially when posting a link from a blog! I'm gonna start an online fight! Or worse, online political discourse!

Check out dese comments!

This is actually where it gets interesting. I'm assuming your question wasn't rhetorical, so here's an answer.

The generals are always fighting the last war, and even now the WGA is struggling based on continued lack of foresight: in 1988 nobody foresaw the drop in videotape prices, then nobody saw the emergence of the DVD, then nobody saw the emergence of downloading or streaming from the Internet. So now, the focus is still very much on today's technologies and not so much on tomorrow's.

The road to the future is paved with cheese, for sure, but the virtual worlds of today are the sets, stages, theaters and screens of tomorrow, and the rules will be much different. Technologies are being created that incorporate story into immersive shared environments. Who will write those stories? Who will be compensated? Who will control the distribution and marketing?

Picketing in a virtual world calls attention to the fact that it would be a mistake to limit the focus of this current struggle to today's issues of downloading and streaming. We've come a long way since 1988. Imagine if whatever is decided this time around, however current it is with today's technology, were still governing the industry in 2026.

Post postedly posted by Kiwini Oe : 12/12/2007 12:16 AM


I wouldn't exactly EVER disagree. A writer myself (unaccomplished, of course), I agree with probably every single political agenda you have ever pulled a lever for.

My disagreement is in the power of the Internet and MOSTLY the power of Second Life. Yes, blogs and Web 2.0 are here to stay, unbelievably powerful. But a protest in an MMOG? I will give you this: the screenshots and posts about it curb my ability to say it's all for naught. It creates a lot of great visuals to go with the political cause and it does make a point about the Internet as a new garden for creative works. I do know the power of the picture story and combining media. But the protest within something like Second Life is certainly less powerful on its own (which is where my comment was erroneously directed).

Labels: