Eaglie's Aviary

Friday, February 02, 2007

Report: Super Bowl XLI, Part I

There is no one in Chicago who does not know what is happening right now. We feel it in the air, we drink it in the water, and we dump it on the curb every morning. The Sun-Times has kept a graphic of palm trees next to their title for the past five months--and this is not a sign of the weather here right now, by any means.

It’s the Bears, as we all know. The Bears are in Miami, home to Super Bowls and cigar smugglers, and the team’s there for both this time. My experiences in Miami are mostly airport- and rental car-related, so admittedly, I don’t know the city very well. I would have loved to go and do this report in person, but unfortunately all the hotels are booked, all the tickets are sold, and I didn’t have a chance in hell of going anyway. So, I have to make do with Wikipedia and four channels of ESPN.

Dolphin Stadium is the focal point of the media flurry. Home of several sporting teams, including an actual football team, it is where and why the Super Bowl has been held in Miami numerous times. As a side note, Dolphin Stadium was also witness to several murders during the 1994 football season. Thankfully, an eccentric private eye, Detective Ventura, was able to solve the murders. Unfortunately, this has been the most excitement for Miami football for three decades.

So maybe Dan Marino never won Miami a Super Bowl. And maybe the Dolphins have lost so many playoff games that the Buffalo Bills might loan them a win or two sometime. The team has spirit, though, and is still beloved by the peaceful South Florida denizens, at least until the next losing season. That’s how long the denizens stay peaceful. Wait--the Dolphins went 7-9 this season and their coach quit?

Hide.

Ha ha! I kid Miami because I love it (I assume I do)! Miami isn’t that far from being my hometown. Sure, it’s warm and full of palm trees and alligators, but we have those too, if you visit during the right epoch (Cretaceous?). But Miami has something much like us, and very much unlike Indianapolis: water. Since when has Indy had boats? There won’t be any Colts banners flying over any large bodies of water (except for over a few Green Bay Packers’ boats--damned sore losers).

Miami should be excited to host another Super Bowl. They have one of the nicest backdrops for one of the biggest games in all sports, and setting a record for the most hosted Super Bowls without their home team playing in it must be thrilling. Again I kid! But I’m still sure that they must be excited. I hear the gunshots already.

Sorry again, Miami.

Labels: ,