Eaglie's Aviary

Monday, February 04, 2008

Back from New Orleans

And Mark Twain is right: "It has been said that a Scotchman has not seen the world until he has seen Edinburgh; and I think that I may say that an American has not seen the United States until he as seen Mardi-Gras in New Orleans."

It was a great trip, which I think makes up for me not live-blogging the Super Bowl, but that game was one of the best I've ever seen (I watched the second half in a few bars).

My thoughts on why it was so great? Because New England got embarrassed, thereby saving us decades of smugness. Also, it averted an Apocalypse: no region/city should ever win two championships in one year (Red Sox, Patriots) and if they had won three (the Celtics), someone might have had to murdah them.

One last thought before I get to writing the important things: the reading of the Declaration of Independence by NFL coaches, players, and retired veterans... was this smarmy or just plain cheesy? I can't decide which.

Labels: