Eaglie's Aviary

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007)

I should probably post and commemorate the passing of a fellow satirist. Yes, I knew about it much earlier today, but I finally came up with something to say. Well, I guess I didn't come up with it to say: Frybread of my Flowers did.

Kurt Vonnegut wasn't my favorite satirist. I still haven't read a novel by him; I've only read short pieces. From those I learned he was a little more caustic than most people I read. However, he still was quite the genius, and he was funny to a point that I don't know I could ever reach.

Anyway, here's what Frybread posted. It's more sentimental than anything, but serious poignancy is sometimes the greatest talent of a satirist:

The Last Rites of the Bokononism [ 99 ]
(Each line is said once by the person giving the rites and then repeated by the dying person.)

God made mud.
God got lonesome.
So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!"
"See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars."
And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
Lucky me, lucky mud.
I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
Nice going, God.
Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have.
I feel very unimportant compared to You.
The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around.
I got so much, and most mud got so little.
Thank you for the honor!
Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep.
What memories for mud to have!
What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met!
I loved everything I saw!
Good night.
I will go to heaven now.
I can hardly wait...
To find out for certain what my wampeter was...
And who was in my karass...
And all the good things our karass did for you.
Amen.