Eaglie's Aviary

Monday, March 12, 2007

This Just in from Andy



I went plenty of exotic places this Spring Break!


Exotic place #1


Exotic place #2


Exotic place #3

Okay. It's probably one of my last spring breaks ever, and I didn't go anywhere. I didn't leave even leave the county. But hey, there are plenty of things to do in a tiny Midwest suburban town, right?

...hmm...

...ho hum...

...hmmmmph...

...let's check Facebook again, shall we?

This is really not to say I didn't do anything over break. It's just to say I didn't do anything remotely like skydiving or gondola-riding over break. Instead, I took the opportunity to go all the places my dad told me to go. Not that I don't enjoy grocery stores, libraries, and museums. Actually, scratch "grocery stores," and then I'll be telling the truth.

I finally got myself out to the Chicago History Museum, oddly enough at a time when it takes many more transfers/stops to get there. It opened only in the last few months, and it's pretty cool if you like Chicago history. You won't find any in-depth information unless you get permission to go into the Historical Society archives, which are housed there. Unfortunately, they were closed off today, due to the great fire in the archives (yes, I went there).

I also did some searching with my dad through Forest Park Public Library and Historical Society archives. He was mostly searching for information about the cemeteries and railroads; I was looking for information about the old amusement park we had in our town, until I got sidetracked with the history of the Loyal Order of Moose. You would've, too.


First Rule of Moose Club: Don't shoot fellow Moose.

I honestly still don't know what they do, but I want in. I even went back later in the week: now I'm finding out whether the chapter still exists here and, if so, what the membership requirements are (a family history of Moose-related activities, or maybe a Trial by Blood). By the way, I think this really exemplifies what kind of scholar I am compared to my dad.

I wasn't entirely the slacker I make myself out to be. Sometimes, I was just the bad-boy scholar (Editor’s Note - ?!). The Newberry Library is a beautiful place, mind you, but they're so rule-oriented! The first time I went in and got my library card, they kicked me out after asking the question, "Are you here to browse?" (Answer: Yes, but never again.) So, maybe the question is: how many rules did Andy break?

  • I walked into a small booth without remembering to sign in first.

  • I leaned on a laminated map I had gotten out from the stacks.

  • I took a book off a cart that was apparently at the time being re-categorized. I was swiftly reprimanded, and the victimized book of Irish genealogy was placed back on its cart.

  • I also used a pen to write in my notebook on a designated "No Pens" floor.


I did, however, find some real information. For instance, did you know there are towns in Illinois named Athens and Sparta? The Greek city-states? Pretty cool! For good measure, Latin scholars and Roman historians, there are also Palmyrans and Carthaginians in our state.

While I was on my search for various information about Moose lodges, I had to have gone through hundreds of books and maps and maps of books. There were stacks and stacks: Maps of the Ancient World, Maps of Empire and War, Maps of the Heavens... A Book of Old Maps? That, I had to have a peek at. And it didn’t lie. It was a book of old maps.

My sidetracked quest for information on the Forest Park Amusement Park, however, found its way back into the picture: my dad and I might be the first of our town in recent years to find a map of it, and hopefully, the F.P. Historical Society will be gracious (probably not). This thing, dated 1909, shows all the major rides and attractions, including a fairly large rollercoaster for its day. The map is actually a heavily detailed Sanborn Fire Insurance map, which is ironic considering the park was shut down in 1922 after a massive fire.

The finale of my week might actually be exciting: I saw 300! Several times! A few times alone!

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that.

And in all truth, I only saw it once (so far). It feels like I saw it a dozen times, 'cause all of my friends wanted to go see it. At different theaters. In different groups of people. In different time zones. And then came *groan* Daylight Savings Time. However, 300 is really all I wanted it to be... and then some!

SPOILERS!!! Continue on, Stranger-Passing-By, FOR SPOILERS!!!
In this account of Thermopylae, 300 Spartans go to the pass, as they are fated. They and their allies, however, defeat the million Persians in a testosterone-drenched battle with rhinos and ogres, and the brave men save Western civilization in one fell swoop! Leonidas and his 298 Spartans left alive then go home to their wives with their shields happily still attached. The victory is immediately followed by an age of glory and freedom for Sparta, Athens, and their fellow city-states and finally the writing of the Illinois State Constitution.
END OF SPOILERS!!!

So maybe Spring Break wasn't everything you and I would expect. It was busy with familiar places and scholarly pursuit. Boy, was it scholarly! Isn't that the best kind of break?

Please don't answer that.

Labels:


Comments:

Dear Andy:
All I did while you were on break was study, more study, prepare for midterms, study, go out to dinner on loyola's tab with the head of the sociology department... and not leave my room all weekend...

Bah.
 
Post a Comment