Eaglie's Aviary

Friday, January 26, 2007

Reruns, Day 3



From Monday, July 11, 2005:

Eaglie is back, from Washington. Yes, I went to DC with my family, and I woke up Thursday morning to find out London was hit by terrorist bombs.

I know my great grandfather (Irish Catholic) would hate me for saying this, but the British are a good people. Always cheerful (or respectful), and never sullen.

My mom told me a story that when she visited the British Isles years ago, she couldn't find a place to stay in London. She walked the streets in the typical London weather (bad), looking glum. But a voice shouted to her, "Cheer up, miss, it'll get better!" And it was a man sitting in the street on crutches, a man who'd lost his leg during a Luftwaffe blitz on London.

This could not have happened to a less-deserving people.