Eaglie's Aviary

Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Life Is Pain. Anyone Who Tells You Differently Is Selling Something."

Life can seem like it's crumbling before your eyes. Friends disappear, lovers quarrel, family members die, and gang lords mistake you for someone totally different.

We all go through our heartbreaks and loneliness. There's anger, sadness, pity, and physical pain to top it all off. But yet we still go on, together or alone. We grieve our failures, yes, but we celebrate our triumphs.

Why?

Like any healthy human being, life is insane. Clinically, life should not be allowed to walk the streets. But it is. Life gets preferential treatment because it's beautiful, despite its flaws. We suffer to enjoy what we have and have coming. That's why we get through the crap. That's why we exist, to the best of our knowledge.

Giving advice to a friend recently, I gleaned a slight bit of insight I'd forgotten. Yes, she turned the tables on me and made me rethink a thought I'd had. With her leaving for another college (East Coast) within a half year and us having just gotten to be friends, I'll probably never get to reach her again besides through the ever-popular medium of AIM. But still, I told her to not completely disappear, or else the few months we hung out would be a waste. Then, she said, "its [sic] never a waste!"

It is very hard to remember this sometimes, but she is right. Maybe she didn't mean it this way, but it's true: you can never forget the people you've met in life. They all affect you, and the memories keep accumulating. When I'm old and prostate-less, I'll still remember all my friends and family and pets. I'll remember sledding in the woods, building a fort in the dorm lounge, and turning a coffee can into a high explosive. And, more importantly than any can believe, I will remember the people who touched my life even in the tiniest ways. I'll see all the grief I've caused, all the laughs I've forced, and all the change I've lost in those fleeting moments. I will die with those memories flashing, and, if I'm lucky, with family and friends surrounding me, all the shining, beautiful, ugly, stupid faces that I love.

So I disagree with those who say we die alone. It's such a cliche. Personally, I'm going to die laughing.