Eaglie's Aviary

Sunday, January 29, 2006


Seeing Pacman's post about Google in China, I had to weigh in. Google has been in a battle, you know, for free speech. Just after defying the US government in turning over search data, Google adhered to Chinese laws by creating a censored Chinese version of Google.

Personally, the First Amendment is the most important part of all the Constitution, and I was thrilled when Google shot down the US gov. When I heard about China, I had very mixed feelings. However, I suppose it is in an attempt to follow Chinese law. However, it's one of those things that China will eventually have to get over to, you know, reach some form of "People's Republic."

Here's one last article from BBC on it, testing the extent of the censorship: Google's Chinese results toe the line