Eaglie's Aviary

Saturday, November 22, 2003


The Two Towers: Special Edition: REVIEW

Well, yes, I've watched most of it (finished the movie, now working on special features). Now I'm working on the cast commentary, the best part of Fellowship's special edition (other than maybe the deleted scenes themselves). Listening to Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd is hilarious.

As for the movie itself, the scenes added I thought gave a whole lot more meaning to the whole thing. Plus, Faramir doesn't come off as a pompous asshole anymore! It actually seems like he's just fighting for his father's affection (just like Tolkien wrote it). Then there's some beautiful foreshadowing scenes, the best being the one with Gandalf and Aragorn on the 1st disc. What Gandalf says at the end of the scene put a huge smile on my face. The Ent Draught scene is back in the movie, along with an appearance by Old Man Willow (only he's in Fangorn this time).

The special features, like the Taming of Smeagol, make you appreciate what kind of effort went into this series of movies. Andy Serkis amazes me. Also, find some of the HIDDEN FEATURES. There's one I found so far, and it was hilarious.

I won't say anymore, cause I don't want to ruin anything else. I'll just say that the sheer beauty of both special editions has dazzled me. Do I sound mesmerized? That's cause I am. BUY THIS NOW.